Holy Cathedral Church of God in Christ – Milwaukee, WI
Holy Cathedral was originally known as Eagle Eye Church of God In Christ and was organized and founded in May of 1968 at its first location by Elder Joe Cobb Jr. He later moved the congregation to 1036 W. Atkinson Avenue in Milwaukee, WI. After the passing of Elder Cobb, the church was without a Pastor from July 1982 until September 1982. Through much prayer and seeking God for a leader, God inspired the minds of the majority of the members with the thought of one outstanding young Elder under the leadership of Bishop P.J. Henderson – Charles H. McClelland.
Charles Henry McClelland the youngest of 10 children was born on April 5th, 1950 to Mr. & Mrs. Steve McClelland in Covington TN. In May 1969 he moved to Milwaukee. God saved him and filled him with the Holy Ghost at the young age of 19 in November 1969. He became a member of Christ Temple Church of God In Christ and remained there until he was appointed as the Pastor of Eagle Eye COGIC.
During these years he was not idle in the church. He served as Deacon, Usher, Local YPWW Teacher, 10 years as Chairman of Christ Temple Bible Class and Executive Secretary of the Northwest Jurisdiction. He was also a member of the Executive Board and 1st Administrative Assistant of the same Jurisdiction. He also served as Vice Chairman for the General Council of Pastors & Elders.
He was called to the ministry in January of 1975 and was ordained as an Elder in the Church of God in Christ that same year. In September 1982 he was appointed as Pastor of Eagle Eye COGIC. Elder McClelland has an Associate Degree from Milwaukee Area Technical College, a Bachelors Degree from Marquette University, and has done post-graduate studies at UWM – Milwaukee. On July 13, 1974 he was united in Holy Matrimony to Prentiss D. Walker who stands by him always giving her full support. After 19 years with Milwaukee County as a Social Worker, he retired in 1993 to totally focus on the ministry of the church.
In July of 1989 under the leadership of Pastor McClelland and the blessings of God, the membership was able to purchase their current facility located at 2677 North 40th Street and pay the mortgage off in less than five years. It was at this time the name changed from Eagle Eye to Holy Cathedral COGIC.
Under Pastor McClelland’s leadership, the church has grown from 25 members to over 1200. Currently two services are held on Sunday morning, and one on Sunday evening in addition to a weekly Broadcast & Telecast. In 1996, Pastor McClelland founded the Word of Hope Family Resource Center which offers help in the areas of Employment, Social Service, ATODA, Marriage & Mental Health Counseling and Health Care.
In 1998 the Family Technology Resource Center began operating providing State of the Art Computer Training. The services in both centers are offered at no cost to individuals and families because of the support from the Church, Private Foundation Grants, City, and County Programs.
Due to the tremendous growth in ministry, the church has presently outgrown its current facility. Holy Cathedral is “A Place where Ministry Happens” seven days a week. The next phase for Holy Cathedral is a major building project called Cathedral Heights that will house all ministries presently operating with room for expansion and a sanctuary that will seat 2,000 and parking.
Over the past 30 years Pastor McClelland has proven his leadership ability and commitment, and is leading the church forward into the 21st Century. November 10, 2008 Pastor McClelland was officially installed and consecrated as Prelate for the Wisconsin Northwest Jurisdiction. The Northwest Jurisdiction is experiencing historical and phenomenal growth under the leadership of Bishop C.H. McClelland as he leads them into the next dimension. The Jurisdiction currently has 42 churches in it.